Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How do you read your Bible?

My friend Curt writes a lot of songs.  The other day I was listening to one and it made me remember in a really tangible way:

God REALLY loves us...it took me by surprise.

Too often I act like He doesn't necessarily love me, or at least that maybe he does it out of selfishness (because it's for Himself and His glory in the end), or that it's not pure or satisfying enough to me.  The end of the story is that ultimately it IS all about Him, but that's not selfish or bad at all.  He is Almighty God.  I'm digressing.  Think of all the beautiful expressions of love you can imagine.  Every ounce of some burning thing inside of you that you can't explain but you know you can't live without; that kind of love is just a scratch of how he yearns and jealously loves for you.

Goodness gracious I think I might "feel" more from a movie than my Bible sometimes.  At least they often make me cry more.  I'm not saying that feelings and getting teary eyed are good measurements for love.  But sometimes I think I definitely allow my idea of God's love for me become just that:  a dry, philosophical thought instead of the real, exciting, crazy, burning, scary, monumental, perfect love that he has for me.  The problem isn't the Bible, and it's certainly not God.  That leaves me...did you know that you can have a real relationship with God?  I mean really, I pray for the grace and faith from Him to remember the truth and not allow sterile philosophy to come between me and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment