Monday, October 18, 2010

Martha Moments

I think that we all know just how rough this world can be on us. We have so many responsibilities and obligations and desires and, and, and... I think we would also agree that so many of these things weigh heavy on our hearts and keep us from realizing our full potential in Christ. A couple of weeks ago I was having a really hard time balancing all of my activities and my youth minister pointed me to this story from Luke:


“Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. She went up to Him and said, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.’” - Luke 10:38-42, ESV


Most of the time, I feel like Martha. I have so much to do that sitting at the Lord’s feet doesn’t seem like a good use of my time. But in each instance that I get too stressed and panic, I can hear the voice of God in my ear. “Claire, Claire, remember what is necessary.” Sitting down to read the Word and prayer journaling and listening can be so powerful and restorative. Matthew 6:6 says “When you pray, go into your room, shut the door, and pray to your Father.” I think that there is so much value in being silent with Him, we cannot discount the power of those moments.

Not only did Martha not make time or see the value in time spent with Him, but I think that it is important to note that instead her time was spent serving, preparing her house for Jesus’ stay. As crazy as it may sound, I think that sometimes what distracts us from Christ is our Christianity. It is all too often that I find myself being spiritually drained by planning Bible studies, organizing church youth events, or trying to solve my friends’ problems. Yes, Christ expects us to serve Him and work to bring Him glory, but we can’t leave ourselves high and dry. We are all leaders in our spiritual communities. Don’t forget to fill your cup. Seek out your elders, mentors, and wingmen. Be in community and always be pursuing new knowledge of who Christ is calling you to be. Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work as if serving the Lord and not men.” This may seem contradictory to my main point, but when we do need to get work done there is no excuse for why Christ can’t be a part of every facet of our busy lives. Being honest, maintaining integrity, and staying humble are hard things, but as Christians, I believe it is our responsibility in all that we do, and it brings glory to the God to whom we owe so much.

Jesus also makes the point that a relationship with Him, more specifically LISTENING to Him, is not something that can be taken away. Everything in this life is expendable. How great it is to know that this can not be taken away! That is priceless! What reason do we have to not hold that above all else in our lives?

So my Sigmas, I want to encourage you to make quiet time a part of your daily routine. Seek out silence and let the silence be filled with the echo of His might. Be like Mary, sitting at His feet and having faith that His teachings are worth more than anything else. In those Martha moments when we are consumed by worldly ambitions, don’t forget to make Christ consciously present. Be filled with the light of Christ in order to shine in the dark.

Love, Claire


Hebrews 10:24-25 “Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet one another as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as we see the day approaching.”

No comments:

Post a Comment